A right-brainer by day and occasional blogger by night, you've landed on a place where I live and breathe all things art, design, culture and fashion. You'll find me documenting my life in the creative field, endless travels with friends and family and a bit of food.
Credits: Judy Christine
One of the things I love to do in my spare time is go through messages people send me of their work inspired by my art or emails requesting to use my me for their art project. I really appreciate these as it makes my life as an artist extra fulfilling. I recently Skyped with a senior high school student from Myanmar who wanted to interview me for her art assignment and it’s great feeling to know we got along well through sharing common interests in kpop and holidaying in the US. One of the questions that sparked me the most is “what do you think the role of an artist is?”. There was probably a long pause after that as I was wondering how to construct my sentence….it’s an easy but not so easy question to answer. My understanding of this role changes overtime based on experience: I think the role of an artist is to entertain while using it to make a good living. Witnessing works by other people inspired by my own art is my form of making a “good living” through art.
Credits: Jamie Barnes
I enjoy being interviewed because I get to be challenged with all these questions that I don’t usually think about, plus I get to know myself better (ironic!). What I’m noticing the most out of these interviews is that people often wonder what kind of person I am or what I do when I’m not drawing or designing. I thought this would be fun, here’s a list of 15 random things you should know about me:
1. I’m allergic to dust and so is my Mom so we find ourselves cleaning a lot….from tidying up rooms to wiping down specs of dust on my macbook keyboard. You name it!
2. I prefer drawing over painting as I can’t get technical with painting. That said, I don’t draw everyday.
3. But I design everyday. I’m a workaholic that works way past 9 to 5.
4. The very first “cool” gadget I ever got was the 1st gen iPod shuffle and since then I’ve always stuck to using Apple products. Apple has made me love music from the very beginning, as well as design 😀
5. I like sport. I’d probably be an ambitious badminton or tennis player as another chosen career path.
6. Not a fan of celery and coriander.
7. My ideal workspace is my bedroom. My desk is cosy and spacious enough for me to do my typical A3 drawings.
8. I’m a city person.
9. I value first impressions the most rather than waiting for something amazing to happen. This applies to everything.
10. For some girls they can’t go out without makeup. For me, I can’t go out without a bow headband.
11. I secretly critique menu designs when I’m at a restaurant.
12. My favorite tv shows are Breaking Bad, Masterchef, Orange is the New Black and The Walking Dead.
13. I’m crazy about fonts.
14. I usually buy magazines for the design and layout rather than for the content itself.
15. My dream project would be to collaborate with Burberry and Big Bang or 2NE1.